Senior Systems / Software Engineer to join my client, a specialist in customer engagement solutions.
The Senior Systems / Software Engineer will ultimately be responsible for designing and building the software development architecture for the future of this business. This will include deployment of a cloud infrastructure and scaling the current Systems and architecture both horizontally and globally.
Responsibilities of the Senior Systems / Software Engineer
- Develop & maintain scalable and robust J2EE applications
- Plan & execute architectural refactoring, moving from monolithic applications to components in a SaaS platform
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Pro-actively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify & develop solutions
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
Requirements for the Senior Systems/Software Engineer
- BSc/MSc degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject – or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of recent experience:
- Test driven Java software development with Maven & JUnit
- Development and re-factoring of J2EE applications (EJBs, JMS, REST)
- Installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX/Linux based environments.
- Administration and performance tuning of application stacks (e.g.,Tomcat, Glassfish)
- Experience administrating and tuning SQL databases (preferably PostgreSQL)
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience with agile software development (Scrum, Kanban)
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience with SaaS architectures
- Experience with monitoring systems (e.g. Nagios, OpenNMS)
- Experience with automation software (e.g., Puppet, cfengine, Chef)
- Solid scripting skills (e.g., shell scripts, Perl, Ruby, Python)
- Experience with cloud deployments (preferably in AWS)
- Experience mentoring and coaching team member as appropriate and necessary
- Excellent English communication skills (written & verbal)
- Adapts communication style for junior engineers, senior engineers and senior management alike
- Proactive ‘self-starter’ attitude
- Lifelong learner – thrives from developing and sharing knowledge
- Uncomfortable with repetition seeking automation in preference
This is a perfect role for a Senior Systems / Software Engineer who is looking for a role where they can take the lead in working with a ground breaking organisation and have the chance to genuinely build the architecture of the future.
The ideal candidate must be passionate about the role and the technology, someone who is an extremely dedicated to software and systems development, who is forward thinking and creative.
Would suit the following levels of consultant – Senior Software Engineer, Senior Systems Engineer, Lead Software Engineer, Lead Systems Engineer, Software Architect, Systems Architect.
Would suit the following locations: West Midlands, Solihull, Coventry, Warwickshire, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, Stratford, Leamington.